A blog where Stephanie Belser test-drives her fictional stories.
Expect the occasional
"stall, spin, crash & burn".

Thursday, July 11, 2024

The Blackmail Caper, Ch. 5

When I came to the office four days later, the receptionist, Amy Airhern, handed me an envelope that had been delivered by a messenger service. I thanked her and went into my office to see what was in the envelope. It held copies of the papers that Hauger had shown me in his office and a check for my retainer. The check was in the name of the “Embassy of the Kingdom of Norway,” it was drawn on the Bank of Boston. There were also copies of releases that had been signed a few years earlier by Haupmann, as well as a letter which authorized me to make inquiries and conduct investigations of embassy employees on behalf of the Kingdom of Norway. The letter was in both English and Norwegian. The Norwegian text had that funny letter “o” with a slash through it.

I made out a deposit slip and went to the bank. When I asked how long it would take for the check to clear, the teller looked at the check again and called over one of the cube-dwellers. They conferred and the answer was twelve business days.

I read the background materials on Haupmann before then. He had been born in a “displaced persons” camp in 1945. He and his mother, a Norwegian named Solveig Jorgensen (she was born in 1928), lived in the camp until 1949, when they were permitted to emigrate to the United States. His mother’s reason for emigrating was that she feared retribution for having borne a child of a German officer and that her family had disowned her.

In 1954, Haupmann’s mother applied for a Norwegian passport for both her son and herself. They both became naturalized Americans in 1959. His mother married Andrew Johnson, an American, in 1961. Johnson was a widower. There was no mention in the papers as to whether or not Solveig and Andrew had any children or if Andrew had children by his previous wife. Those were all things that I would have to check into.

Haupmann was one smart cookie. He graduated high school in Westlake, Ohio three years early, earned a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Wharton School of Business by the time he was 23. He married at age 26 and was still on his starter marriage. In my line of work, coming across someone who had been married for that long was like sighting a unicorn. Haupmann had two daughters and a son, all in school.

When the Embassy’s check had cleared, I ordered criminal records checks and credit checks on Haupmann’s immediate family, his mother and his stepfather. Hauger had probably done that already. He hadn’t included them in the materials that he sent to me. No matter, I’d have done the checks regardless.

I had just finished sealing up the order envelopes (with the fees) when Sarah Thorpe came into my office. “Do you have a minute,” she asked.

“Sure.” I gestured to one of the client chairs.

Sarah sat down. She’s the private detective that I rent my cubbyhole of an office from. Or, I guess, sub-let it. “You busy these days?”

I shrugged. “I make a living. You?”

She nodded. “The same. I think it’s time to start talking about formally joining forces. We help each out enough on cases. If we were to merge, then we wouldn’t have to keep billing each other out as subcontractors or consultants. We wouldn’t have to keep getting our clients’ consents for each of us to work the other’s cases. And if one of us can’t do something, the other can cover as clients would be retaining our firm, not us as individuals.”

“Like Spade & Archer?”

She smiled. “Yeah, except I’m not looking to end up being shot by Brigid O'Shaughnessy.”

I grinned.

“How do we work the money end of it,” I asked.

“The root of all evil?”

“Yeah.”

Sarah nodded. “I thought about that. We could do it much the same way as now. The company would pay the rent and pay Amy. We’d each chip in our share. Outside of that, we’d get what we earned. If I work a case you brought in, you’d be paid for your time and vice versa. And maybe we can get a small business rate for health insurance or even set up some form of pension plan.”

I leaned forward and put my elbows on my desk. “You’ve thought a lot about this.”

“Yeah.”

“You got a name for this operation?”

“Thorpe-Hawkins Investigations, Inc.”

I thought about that. It’d probably look good for applying for government security work, what with the first name being that of a female owner. “Why that,” I asked.

“Because we could have a logo that emphasizes the initials for the words,” she said.

I frowned at that a little. “That’s read as ‘t-h-i-i-n-c’ or ‘thiins’?”

“More like ‘thiink’.”

I blew a little bit of air out my nose, it sounded like a snort. “Think IBM might complain of trademark infringement?”

She shrugged. “Probably not. I’ll get my lawyer to check to see if IBM’s trademark covers detective work.”

I stood up and held out my hand. “OK. Deal?”

Sarah stood up and shook my hand. “Deal. I’ll have my lawyer draw up what needs to be done. He’ll probably tell you that you should consult with an attorney of your choosing.”

We sat back down. “I don’t see a need for that. We’ve had each other’s backs when the guns’ve come out. If I can trust you to be behind me with a loaded gun in your hand, I can trust you not to screw me on this deal.”

“OK, but he won’t like it.”

I made a dismissive gesture. “Fuck him if he can’t take a joke. But maybe he can draw up a form of a retainer agreement that we can use.”

Sarah shook her head. “Nah, I have one. I’ll get Amy to revise it once the lawyer files the incorporation papers.”

I shrugged. “OK, but let’s not spend a friggin’ fortune on lawyering this thing.”

“Right. Well, I have paying work to do,” she said. She stood up and said: “See ya,” and left.

No comments: